Friday, August 26, 2011

Roma!!

After countless hours of planning, document-organizing, stress, travel, and preparation, my time in Rome has finally begun!! So far, everything has been simply perfect -- I was indeed placed with a host family and I even got my roommate request, a good friend of mine on the program. The woman we're living with speaks pretty much no English so it's been tons of fun to immerse ourselves in the language in our home environment. Also, as she has two grown daughters, we're staying in actual bedrooms with really fun decorations, not some dorm or apartment that we have to make an effort to spruce up. This woman is simply an incredible cook and has been wonderfully kind about cooking vegetarian for my sake. She has promised to make vegetarian lasagne at some point (this simply does not exist elsewhere in Rome)!! I promise food pictures will be forthcoming in the near future.

We haven't had tons of time to explore the city as yet since we've just been getting used to the time difference and getting to know our host signora. My friend Lily, myself, and our signora spent last night watching the American TV show "Private Practice" in Italian which was insanely fun, thrillingly dramatic, and excellent Italian practice. Private Italian Practice, pardon the pun.

The erratic bus schedule caused us a significant delay on our way to academic orientation today so we have to attend the later one this afternoon. I suppose it was a learning experience and at least it allowed me time to update this blog!

Yesterday I bought my own little "telefonino," or cell phone, and I really like it, particularly because it doubles as a radio so I can rock out in my room.

I can already attest to the excellence of Italian pasta, coffee, salad, gelato, bruschetta, pizza, and yogurt -- who knows what's next!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment