Wednesday, June 29, 2011

St. Germaine de Pres



Oh my goodness!! I just had lunch at Brasserie Lipp and I think I did so in proper Hemingway fashion -- alone, ordering as cheaply as possible, working on a few reading and writing projects ... mission accomplished. And, like Hemingway, I ordered a beer (how can they think it's okay to charge fifteen euro for a glass of wine?!?!). The funny thing is, I was reading Hemingway while there; that's either metaphysical or redundant, to be sure. Admittedly, I was not working on a novel, but rather writing postcards. What can I say, at the end of the day, I am indeed a tourist. The couple at the table next to me had the cutest little white dog under the table and the superbly dressed older gentleman was feeding him scraps of ham and melon. Adorable! He warned me when I sat down that they had a dog under the table which was super charming but I had no idea what he said until I asked him to translate. Whoopsies. I thought the place would be more casual as Hemingway was pretty poor while he was writing but it's quite fancy. Everyone there was very dressed up and even if they wore somewhat casual clothing they where clearly extremely well-off nonetheless. It says right at the top of the menu that they do not allow their clientele to order a salad as a meal ... I circumvented that by ordering a soup. :P Win! Potage du legumes. Also known as the best squash soup I have ever encountered!! Pretty much everything else on the menu was meat anyway, not to mention extraordinarily expensive. I caught a glimpse of the bill for the couple across the way -- 120 euro!! For lunch!! Ooof.

No comments:

Post a Comment